Thursday, July 9, 2009

Savvy Consumer


I'm always looking for a good deal and I try to be a smart shopper. I thought maybe I'd post an occasional idea that worked for me. If you have any ideas that work for you...let me know!

Here's a couple ideas for today:

#1 NEVER, EVER pay for shipping when you shop online!! Just don't do it. But you shop online, you say? So do I! Here's my trick. Before you place your order, do a Google search for coupon codes. For example, I ordered a photo book from Snapfish last week. I Googled "Snapfish Coupon Codes." A list of websites devoted to coupon codes pops up. When you find a code that might work for you, go back to the website you are ordering from and plug the code into the spot where it says, "promotional codes/coupons/etc." I didn't find a code for free shipping on this particular search, but I did find a code for 20% off photo books and gifts. My savings...$6.00 (just as good as free shipping).

#2 If you are disappointed with service you have recieved at a restaurant, hotel, etc...don't be shy...let someone know. My feelings on this one is that if you are paying for a service, it better be good. A while back, Brandon and I took the kids to Logan's to eat. The food was okay, but the service was horrible (and that was an understatement). We left and I was ticked. My rule of thumb is that if I'm still ticked the next day, then I go to their website and make a complaint. So I did. Within a day or two, the manager from Logan's called, apolgoized, and sent us coupons for 4 free entrees, 1 free apetizer, and 1 free dessert. Another example was this past weekend. When we went to Milwaukee, we stayed at the Radisson. Unbeknownst to me, my room door was painted. I got paint all over my (not so new...needed a new one anyway!) purse. I let someone at the front desk know and they were so nice about it. I got a free night's stay out of it.

No comments: