Monday, November 24, 2008

Kye's Hand, Foot, & Mouth Disease

What a way to start a Monday. Kye had been complaining of a sore throat over the weekend. I peeked in his mouth and it just looked red. He had an ear infection last week and was on antibiotic, so I figured whatever creeped it's way into that throat of his would be killed soon enough. Last night at supper, he showed me a couple little spots on his hand. Still no worries. I told him they looked like a couple of little warts and we'd get them checked next time we went to the doctor. This morning, he was in tears as he tried to eat his breakfast. He could hardly talk or eat. I took another gander at his throat and it was a mess. Blisters, blisters everywhere. Oh and those warts on his hand grew over night. Now they were creeping up his hand. I chalked it up to a reaction to the antibiotic he was taking and off to the doc we went to confirm my suspicion. It did creep into the back of my head that this could be hand, foot, mouth disease...but that sounded icky so I put that thought to rest. Um, yeah...well the doc took one look and confirmed that indeed he does have hand, foot, mouth disease. It's highly contagious, so we hope nobody else in the house gets it. I couldn't refrain from taking a few pictures too!

I wish I could have stuck the camera all the way down his throat. Blisters all over the back of his throat, roof of his mouth and tongue.


Yep, even a few on the top of his feet.

Here's what I diagnosed as a few warts last night. Oops!

1 comment:

Cari said...

Ok... Now that I see photographs of poor Kye, I really do hope no one else in your house gets this. I bet he is just miserable.