Things around here are returning to normal, for us anyway. The flood was like nothing I have ever seen. The flood, itself, was devastating. However, there are no words to describe the aftermath. Driving down many of the streets, all you see are piles of garbage stacked high and wide. Fortunately, we were not affected too badly. We had a trickle of water in the unfinished side of our basement (see photo below) and a tiny bit of seepage on our carpet on the finished side. Brandon did an awesome job to make sure the sump pumps didn't quit. He was the one who stayed up all night and day babysitting the pumps. Unfortunately I was no help, as I was glued to the window most of the day watching the water run up the streets around us.
The only good that has come from this flood is a clean basement. We knew we needed to scrub the floors and walls around the seepage site. We just decided to do the whole basement. It was quite a fiasco. I'm sure we used too much bleach, as we were both coughing and gagging. We thought maybe we would have to evacuate our house at midnight last night due to the bleach fumes. We opened the house up to air it out, and that helped some.
So as life has returned to normal for us, please keep those less fortunate in your thoughts and prayers.

No comments:
Post a Comment