Saturday, October 24, 2009

Lord, Help Us...We Have A 3 Year Old In The House!

As I type this, the clock strikes midnight and Camden is officially 3 years & 1 day old. Happy Birthday, my sweet (most of the time) big boy! He's been talking about his birthday for a month now. This year he gets it...the whole birthday thing...cake, candles, presents. Somewhere up in his little head, he decided he wanted a "baseball birfday." A baseball birthday is what he got!

So what's he up to these days? He is obsessed with sports...baseball, basketball, football. He knows all the Duke players (courtesy of my husband!). He doesn't know a stranger...just like his daddy! He has 1 shirt he wants to wear everyday! Needless to say, getting him dressed in the morning is a challenge when his favorite shirt is dirty! He's, for the most part, potty trained (thank goodness!). He rarely eats a good dinner, but chows at breakfast and lunch.

I just got done reading this sweet gal's birth story of her little guy who is turning 1 tomorrow. It made me think back to Camden's birthday. It was a Monday morning and we arrived to the hospital at 6 am to be induced. Things didn't really rock and roll until about 9 am, when the nurse started the Pitocin. Needless to say, the next 45 minutes were interesting. Contractions started hard right off the bat. Dr. Weaver came in to check on me and told the nurse to get the epidural guy in there right away...she knows me well. I went from 3 cm to 6 cm dilated within a matter of minutes. By this point, I was screaming...literally. The epidural guy did come, cleaned my back with that yellow soap and all of a sudden I felt the urge to push. He basically said, "screw the epidural...I'll be right back with a spinal." He never made it back. From there, things went into fast forward. I was still sitting up on the bed waiting for the epidural guy to get back and had a death grip on my nurse so she began yelling for help. She told Brandon to go get help. Dr. Weaver said she had just walked in the door to her office when she got the call. She ran back to the hospital in a matter of minutes. When she got back, I begged and pleaded for pain medication. She said, "Girl, it's too late." So, instead of pushing, I screamed...and screamed...and screamed. Dr. Weaver got in my face and said, "Give me 1 minute...the baby will be out in 1 minute...push!" So that's what I did and she was right...1 minute and he was here. At 9:44 am Camden was born. It wasn't the birth that I had envisioned and I didn't think I would ever be able to laugh about it...but now that I look back, it cracks me up.

3 comments:

kimberly said...

Happy birthday (one day late) to Camden! That is quite a birth story. One minute!?!?! Makes me sick. Hahaha...

Carrie said...

Happy 3rd Birthday Camden!

Anonymous said...

From Dawn:
Happy Birthday to sweet Camden! It's so hard to believe that the little guy who used to call me "Puppy" is now 3!