Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Outer Banks Vacation (Part II)

A few days into our trip, it was decided that we drive an hour north of where we were staying to a little place called Corolla. Upon arriving we would be taking a nice, leisurely tour (so we thought) in a retro, open-top jeep to see the wild Mustangs (I think) that roam this area. I guess we underestimated the "adventure" in the Corolla Outback Adventure tour that we were to embark on! I knew it was going to be interesting when the blacktop ended and the sand road began. Please allow me to share our adventure.

Ahhhh...so scenic.


These houses are basically out in the boondocks!

I'm going to live here someday...that is when I win the lottery.

So you're probably thinking what's the big adventure. A little bit of sand, a few scattered houses, and a couple of horses (which by the way were quite interesting!)

I tried to get this horse to turn around so I didn't have to photograph her backside. Darn thing had no shame! These horses just roam this area. This horse was feeding in someones yard. I think I read somewhere were there are 60 acres of wild horse reserve in this area.

Now we're talking. Here's one of the retro jeeps we rode in. They were quite um...what's the word...dangerous. Driving down the beach in these big sand ruts at 60 mph! Brandon's jeep's brakes didn't work too swell. Mindy's speedometer was broken and her seat belt was rigged with a rope! Have I mentioned how bumpy the ride was? Thank goodness for the makeshift seat belts in these buggies.
Hey, that's Mindy driving. She was the best driver in the bunch and I'm not joking!
Remember a little while back I mentioned that the ride was quite bumpy? Well I was trying to snap a picture of the two jeeps behind us and, well, I was bumping all around in my seat and this was the best I could do.
Look real close at this picture. See that car between the red jeep and the red truck? They were incredibly stuck in the sand. It was like 90 degrees and they were digging (!) their car out. I'm still sweating just thinking about it.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

From Dawn:

How cool! We didn't take a tour while we were in Corolla. We just saw the lighthouse and walked in the wetlands to the sound and saw an egret and a man crabbing on the pier. We really wanted to see some horses, though, but digging a jeep out of the sand would have been no fun for us at all! :) Can't wait to see more pics of the horses!